background

July 4, 2012

Fourth of July 2012

We, I, lucked out this year.  There were about 3 days that were below normal temperatures.  Luckily those fell on days when we would be outside for events. 

On July  1st, we went with Ben’s family to the Concerts in the Garden at the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens.  We have done this now each year since I’ve known Ben.  His whole family gets together and rents 3 tables.  We eat homemade fried chicken and other picnic things.  Then around 8pm the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra plays the Patriotic Concert and around 9:30 or so as they are ending with the traditional Patriotic marches the fireworks go off.  


Here are all of the Goodyear grandchildren with KK and Papa

Jack chillin with daddy

I thought it was so cute how Jack put is arm around Ben

Jack wasn’t that interested in the symphony that much.  There wasn’t anything to keep his attention and he’d much rather play on someone’s phone or walk around.  But there was one time when he got into the music and had fun waving his flag.



Jack really enjoyed the fireworks this year.  I think he was shocked when they began but loved them.  He would open his mouth so wide each time they would pop.  He would also close his eyes when there were a lot of them in the sky because it was so bright...he does not like bright things. 




July 3rd - Light Up Arlington
Our city has been putting on a Fourth of July event the day before the Fourth for a few years now.  This happens at the Levitt Pavilion which is literally right next door to our church.  So, our church is in charge of getting volunteers together to man the children's area.  This was our first year to attend and I was actually supposed to sing with the choir, but since it was really hot (especially for an 8/9 month pregnant woman) I decided it wasn't such a great idea.

So we decided to go to the children's area and were waiting to meet up with Jack's friend James.  While we waited we visited the children's petting area.  Below is Jack brushing the goat.


I was extremely hot and if we hadn't told Jack that we were going to see James we probably would have left after we had been there about 20 minutes.  But all Jack kept saying was "James, see James?"  Below is James and Jack holding hands.  I have no idea how this started but they were so cute.


I think we were about to walk across a "street" which is why we were all holding hands.  Notice Jack's face...he's not sunburned he just gets red in the face when he is hot.


We then traveled over to the radio Disney side and came upon this poster of "Jake and the pirates".  This is a new favorite of Jack's.  He was very excited to see Jake.


We had to get one more pregnant picture of Jennifer and me.  She was being induced 4 days from this picture.  Jennifer is James' mom.


July 4th - Parade
If you know me well enough, you know I love the 4th of July parade Arlington puts on.  Although, I haven't been the past two years.  Last year, I decided at the last minute that I just couldn't get everything together the night before the parade that Jack would need.  So we spent a relaxing day as a family.  THIS YEAR, Ben's parents offered to take Jack to the parade if we wanted.  I was thrilled.  A part of me was sad to miss again but I was glad Jack could go.  And this was the first time in a while where someone was watching Jack and I could do anything I needed to do.  Usually when the grandparents watch him it is because I have to work, run millions of errands, or have something important that I have to go to.  So I spent most of the morning putting baby Kyle's name and firetruck decal on his wall above his bed.  Here it is:


The rest of the day was spent relaxing and playing with Jack.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for letting us take him to the parade. We had a great time! Next year we'll have baby Kyle, too! - kaykay

    ReplyDelete